We have a fundraising event called ‘Women & Children’s Lives Matter’ every last Saturday on November in response to ‘The 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence’, (Sustainable Development Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls) which happens internationally each year from 25 November to 10 December, offering an important opportunity to step back & consider what we can do all year long to put an end to gender-based violence.
The funds raised by the organisation through this event help with Women Skills Development and Gender Equality Programs we offer throughout the year.
Globally, one in three women has experienced physical or sexual violence at the hands of an intimate partner. Roughly 20% of women have experienced sexual abuse before the age of 18, while just over 7% of women and girls older than 15 have experienced non-partner sexual violence. This violence has immediate and long-lasting impacts on the health and welfare of women and children, with ripple effects in the broader community and country.
Gender-based violence is a significant barrier to the achievement of every development outcome. Sustainable Development Goal 5 recognizes that gender equality is the foundation for a “peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world” and that this includes a world free of gender-based violence. Goal 5 explicitly calls for the elimination of “all forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres.”
IMPACT OF OUR PROJECT
- End all forms of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere
- Eliminate all forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres, including trafficking and sexual and other types of exploitation
- Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child (early and forced) marriage and female genital mutilation
- Recognize and value unpaid care and domestic work through the provision of public services, infrastructure and social protection policies and the promotion of shared responsibility within the household and the family as nationally appropriate
- Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision making in political, economic and public life
- Ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights as agreed in accordance with the Programme of Action of the International Conference on Population and Development and the Beijing Platform for Action and the outcome documents of their review conferences
- Undertake reforms to give women equal rights to economic resources, as well as access to ownership and control over land and other forms of property, financial services, inheritance and natural resources, in accordance with national laws
- Enhance the use of enabling technology, in particular information and communications technology, to promote the empowerment of women
- Adopt and strengthen sound policies and enforceable legislation for the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls at all levels
SPECIAL EVENTS (WOMEN DEVELOPMENT) WISH LIST
- Water Bottles for branding and fundraising
- Dignity Packs for Women and Girls
- Clothes Bank